Cider: An apple a day keeps the doctor away!
I used to be a bit of a beer connoisseur and while I liked beer, it didn't like me. So I switched to cider and have sampled over 200 ciders to date, including most local ciders (of which there are many tasty choices). I also enjoy supporting orchardists and encouraging more diversity in apple varieties.
The cider industry is growing faster than the craft beer industry ever grew! What kind of cider do you like: dry, medium, or sweet? Appley, fruity, herby, or barrel-aged? Need help choosing for yourself or maybe your bar/restaurant? Just ask!
Here are a few cider resources:
- Two similar cider websites with maps of cideries and tasting rooms, events, and more:
- Attend the Chicago Cider Summit (in February) or one of the other three around the country. 40 cideries, 130 ciders, and 6 meaderies!
- Cider Craft magazine, news from the world of cider
- Malus, a cider zine with a philosophical bent
- The USDA Pomological Watercolor Collection documents fruit and nut varieties around the turn of the 20th century.